09 Mar Getting Your Greencorner Umbrellas Ready for the Season: Canopies
Spring is coming and it’s time to spruce up your outdoor areas. This week we would like to provide you with information on the best way to care for your Greencorner canopies.
Our canopy fabric is designed to be easy to maintain. By following a few simple care and cleaning steps, the fabric will maintain its good looks for many years.
- Cleaning Frequency: No set timetable exists for when fabric should be cleaned, and the local environment has a great deal to do with determining cleaning frequency. Cleaning is required less frequently in a dry environment than in a humid one with heavy foliage. In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every two to three years.
- Simple Maintenance: The fabric has a special finish that delays the accumulation of dirt. To delay the need for deep cleanings, frequently remove dust from the canvas by hosing the fabric off with clean water on a monthly basis. This practice will help prevent dirt from becoming deeply embedded in the fabric and eliminate the need for more frequent, vigorous cleanings.
- Deep Cleaning: When it’s time for a thorough cleaning, it is important to observe the following:
- Always use a mild soap i.e. Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite. Never use detergent.
- Water should be cold to lukewarm. Never use water that is hotter than 100 degrees.
- Air dry only. Never apply heat to the fabrics.
- If you are cleaning the fabric while still on the umbrella, follow these simple steps:
- Brush off loose dirt.
- Hose down.
- Prepare a cleaning mixture of water and mild soap (no detergents).
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
- Allow soap to soak in.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Air Dry.
- Stubborn Stains:
If stubborn stains persist, you can use a diluted chlorine bleach/soap mixture for spot cleaning of mildew, roof run-off or other similar stains.
To prepare a special spot cleaning mixture, combine:
- Four ounces (1 /2 cup) of chlorine bleach.
- Two ounces (1 /4 cup) of mild soap.
- One gallon of water.
- Clean the canopy with a soft bristle brush.
- Allow the mixture to soak into the canopy for up to 20 minutes.
- Rinse the canopy thoroughly.
- Air dry.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Re-treating the Fabric:
As part of the finishing process, the fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but it must be reapplied after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results, we recommend 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred retreatment product for these fabrics. Fabrics should be retreated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use. We offer a Canopy Rejuvenation Kit on our website, which includes the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Greencorner customer support directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (407) 851-7018!